The past week has been a flurry of activity, the culmination of several
dominoes falling into place. It all started with my sister's husband,
Chad. He got a job in Riverside, which meant that my sister would be
moving from Long Beach to Riverside, which is still only about an hour
away from me (yay!). But they have at least a month before they will be
able to find a place to live. That meant that she needed a place to
store her belongings until then. So she asked to put everything in our
garage. That meant that I needed to clean out the garage. It wasn't
too bad, but there were about 100 sq ft of hardwood flooring planks that
we had been given. That also meant that I needed to clean out the
spare room a little quicker since my sister might be living in it for a
while. It is really bad, but I got to work. I had some whimpy shelves
in there that needed to come out, but I wasn't sure what to do with
them. I didn't want to throw them out, but they were ugly and flimsy.
That meant that I needed a brilliant idea.........I've got it!! I used
the floorboards to turn the flimsy shelves into a bookcase and an
armoire for the newly emptied bedroom. Everyone thought I was crazy,
but I started measuring, cutting and glueing and was making some fairly
good progress when my parents came to visit. Since the project had
taken over the garage, and the arrival of a whole apartment's belongings
was imminent, we got to work. We converted the shelves, and made a
coffee table chest with the remnants, my dad did a lot. They aren't
quite finished yet, but they are very close. I am very happy with
them. So far, I have only spent about $15 on glue and hinges, but I
still need to stain and varnish them. That is something that I can
easily do in the remainder of my garage, since all of my sister's
possessions arrived last night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment