Sunday, October 2, 2016

Walking in sunshine or not?

Many years ago when we first moved into this home, the previous owners took all of the window dressing with them.  It was rude, but we decided to just forget about it.  I quickly worked on putting curtains in the bedrooms, and left the kitchen for naught until one very bright day in November.  The kitchen windows are south facing, and on that particular November day, the sun had dropped low enough in the sky that the sun shone directly through the windows and was reflecting off my stainless steel sink so brightly that I was blinded!  I thought this will not work!  So I tromped off to the store to get something that would alleviate my discomfort, but stay within my budget (which was near to nothing at that time.)  I put up some very inexpensive shades as a temporary solution.  I have done a few things to try and dress the cheap shades up over the years, but haven't replaced them because I couldn't really figure out what to do with those windows.  I have finally found a solution, and put up the curtains of my choice!  One of my dilemas was the sun.  I wanted the sun to come in during the winter and warm up the house, but I didn't want it to blind me while in my kitchen.  However, during the summer months I wanted to completely block the sun from those sunny south windows to keep my house cool.  So I devised a two part plan.  I put up some light curtains that allow the light to come through during the winter, but diffuses it enough that if won't reflect quite so badly (I hope, we haven't reached November yet), and some thick roman shades that I can let down during the summer to keep my house nice and cool.  They look great and much more polished than the awful shades that have been adorning my kitchen windows for the past decade!



No comments:

Post a Comment