We have been very sad this summer. For years we have gone to the Rocketdyne Recreation Center in West Hills to swim. It has a wonderful swimming complex. There are three pools, a normal swimming pool, deep in one end and shallow on the other, a lap pool, and a baby pool that is only 2 feet deep. It was a perfect place to go. I spent many hours in the baby pool with my non-swimming kids, while my older kids frolicked in the other pools. I gave them "swimming lessons" in the pools so that eventually, they all knew how to swim. We met with other families there every year. I don't ever see them anywhere else, and I couldn't tell you their last names or where they live. But I knew that I would see Linda, Allison and Vince there every summer. We would play in the park after swimming and sometimes stay for the movie of the month.
This year they are closing the facility. After 50 years of serving Rocketdyne employees, families and retirees, they are closing the gates. We are so sad. I have many years of swimming left, and am not sure where I am going to go. We will never find a complex that offers such a wide variety of opportunities for us. We were additionally saddened by the fact that we were going to miss so much of the summer while we were on our adventures. But we were given a small mercy. Instead of closing the pool after Labor Day, they kept it open for the month. We have been rushing off after school to get our last few days at the Rocketdyne pool installed in our memories.
No comments:
Post a Comment