
So for our first kickoff cub scout activity, I planned a tour of the local firestation. This requires some preparation because you must determine which shift is scheduled for the day you want the tour, then find out the next day they will be in so that you can call them and make a reservation. You can't really change the reservation, or call to remind because it is always a different shift that is there, and communicating small details like a cub scout pack coming to visit apparently isn't very high on the priority list. So I made the reservation with the correct shift back in August. I gathered my cub scouts, and did opening excercises right on the driveway of the fire station where the firefighters were washing the truck, then stood expectantly with 9 smiling little boys and looked at the firefighters.
Eventually they noticed us, but didn't really invite us to do anything, just smiled and nodded. So I hesitantly asked about our tour. Tour? What Tour? was the reply. Apparently the shift that was scheduled for that day was away at a brush fire and this was a skeleton crew pulled from other stations. Oh no! Luckily, they were a good bunch of guys and were willing to give us a tour anyways. You could tell he was showing us and doing things on the fly, but I don't think the boys cared. They got to see the bunks, the kitchen, the office, and the fire truck. They held a nozzle, walked through the back of the truck and watched the firefighter get dressed in 47 seconds. With about 5 minutes left, they got a call, so they all hopped in the truck, honked goodbye, turned on the siren and drove away. The cub scouts thought it was the best trip to the fire station ever!
No comments:
Post a Comment