Sunday, March 4, 2012

Dough - Nut Leap

It only comes once every four years.....Leap Day!!! Although it seems to be very underappreciated by the rest of the world, I think that Feb 29 is fairly unique and special. I like the fact that every four years we have this one extra day inserted into our lives, and I think it should be a cause for celebration. Personally, I think that the whole country should have a mental health day and spend a day released from their daily cares, similar to the five festival days attached to the end of the evenly divided twelve 30-day months of the French Calendar during the revolution. However, the rest of the world treats it like a common day, indistinguishable from any other day of the week, or year. It's a shame. Unfortunately, this means that I am unable to throw my cares out the window, I must go along with the schedule of daily routine.
But not entirely. Last leap day (2008, pictured right) I decided to establish a small but hopefully memorable leap day tradition. At that time, I took the kids out of school for a quick trip to the doughnut shop (memorable at my house any time....we never get doughnuts). This year (pictured left), I have kids in two different schools with wildly different schedules. So we picked up the older two from seminary, whisked them off to the doughnut shop for the pastry of their choice, then dropped everyone off at school to return to the routine. It was a small deviation for our day, but I hope that our mini tribute will be a memorable celebration of this unique day.

No comments:

Post a Comment