Sunday, October 13, 2013

In a Nutshell

Despite many happenings at my house over the past two weeks, I have not busted out the camera and taken a single picture.  Perhaps I am suffering from "overworked camera finger syndrome" after the 500 pictures that I took in New York!  Anyways, I will just hit some of the highlights of the past two weeks.

My parents came to visit during conference weekend.  We enjoyed having them here during the weekend.  It was very fun to have my dad here to help make the conference cake.  That tradition originated with his boyhood family.  He was pleased to see that it has been continued for another generation to enjoy.  We enjoyed listening to the talks during General Conference.  I always love to hear the prophets and apostles voices and instructions in my own home.  We topped off  the weekend with a game of ligretto one night, and a game of hearts the next night.  It was the first time that my younger kids had played hearts.  It was quite amusing at times when they would put out a card that couldn't be played, or would show the queen of spades and ask "Is this the bad one?"  We had a great time with my parents.

This last weekend Jayd and I played in a sand volleyball doubles tournament.  We had hoped to play together, but apparently we didn't understand the rules very well, and in the end, we didn't even play in the same division.  We had decided to make a family day at the beach, so after Gabe's soccer game in the morning, Jeff, Gabe and Allie joined us.  It was a really fun day.  Playing doubles in the sand takes a lot of exertion, I was tired after one match and had 5 more to go!  Allie, Gabe and Jeff watched us play, and collected sand crabs.  After the tournament was over, we played a family game of volleyball, then headed home.  It was a beautiful day at the beach, we couldn't have asked for a better family day.

Other than that, things seem to be piddling along just normally.  Gabe is doing well in homeschool and enjoying his freedom to finish his work and move on to more important things, like internet games.  His favorite game is a farm, similar to a kid version of Sim City.  Allie is doing well navigating middle school.  She is settling in to the routine of rotating classes, lockers and PE clothes.  Jayd has a job as a volleyball referee and assistant for the parks and rec volleyball league.  He is a very dedicated worker, I am not sure which is a stronger motivation, volleyball, or the paycheck!  Maddie is enjoying the freedom that comes with a driver's license, although she does find coordinating with Mom a little tedious.  She thinks, "if only I had my own car", but Mom thinks, "No Way!"  She is also preparing to apply to colleges.  Things are just moving so fast in her life.  I have a little job of my own.  I am just finishing up odds and ends for a small home-based business a few hours a week.  Lately I have been going to his house until I get the hang of things, but the end goal is to work from home.  Jeff has been very busy preparing for a large presentation next week.  We are hoping that it goes well, and he finishes soon, we are missing our daddy more than usual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment