Sunday, May 16, 2010

Burned Again

My friends told me about a great idea! Cook your bacon in the oven instead of on the frying pan, it will come out nice and evenly cooked with no big mess on your stovetop. It sounded like a great idea, so I decided to try it. It worked just great for the first batch, the bacon came out just perfect and it wasn't nearly as messy. Well, I forgot one important item, the Reeder "burned again" gene. (My mother regularly burned everything that she tried to broil in the oven, inspiring "burned again" to be my younger sister's first words). A few minutes into the second batch I thought "Hmmm, smells like someone is having a campfire...." Then I thought I should check on the bacon. I opened the oven to a raging inferno of flames licking at my face. Did I lunge for the fire extinguisher?? the baking soda??? even a pitcher of water???? No! I simply closed the oven and said "Allie, go get your father." (Luckily, he was home because it happened to be Gabe's birthday) She casually asked him to come in the kitchen, and fortunately, the Spirit communicated the urgency to him that Allie did not. He decided the best course of action was to carry the burning platter through the living room and onto the back porch....Apparently we don't think very clearly in a crisis. But as in every funny story, all's well that end's well. Even though the flames were about 18 inches high as he carried the platter through the house, the hair on his arm was only mildly singed, nothing else caught on fire, and I stood in the backyard and watched it burn out while profusely thanking the Lord for sparing my husband and our house. Jeff ran for the camera. Needless to say...I won't be cooking bacon in the oven anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Great story! I am so glad other people panic like I do in emergency situations. In my family we don't burn food, just ourselves. I would have reached for the burning pan with my bare hand. Good luck with bacon in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my...that would have been a site to see!!! I do that with mine, but I heard a good bit of advice: place your cooling rack on top of a 9x13 pan, then put the bacon on the cooling rack. The grease drips to the 9x13 pan (so your bacon isn't as greasy) and then you dump the grease before you cook the next batch, so less grease there to catch on fire! Works every time.

    ReplyDelete