
Saturday I traveled a very long distance to my uncle's funeral in Glendale. This statement may not make sense, let me explain.
For quite a while now, I have been trying to go on a weekend get-away with my husband - on a dime. He has been scheduled to go to Huntsville, Alabama to do some testing since February. I was planning to go with him on a free airplane ticket. The testing was delayed once, twice, then three times. Finally, it was proceeding. I made my plans (found homes for the kids, bought the tickets, etc.) and was all set to go. Three days before I left, my dad called to inform me that my uncle had passed away. The funeral was going to be Saturday. There was really no question in my mind, I would be staying home for the funeral. In fact, Jeff bought a ticket and flew home to attend as well.
After attending the funeral, I knew that I had made the correct choice. It was a great celebration of a wonderful man's life. My uncle was always happy and cheerful. My favorite memory of him was when we would all crowd around him and tickle him. He had a short giggly laugh that I always enjoyed hearing. It was a beautiful sunny California spring day. All of his children (8) and grandchildren (38) were present. I don't get to see them very often, so it was fantastic to see all of them and catch up a bit. I am grateful that Uncle Charles was my uncle and I was able to know him for so many years of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment