Sunday, August 31, 2014

Flying Away and Back to the Nest

This week, I took my baby back to her birthplace, and left her there.  It was a bit sentimental to think that 18 years ago, she was born while we were living on campus at school, and now, she is returning a full fledged college student ready to try life on her own.
We had a great trip.  We stopped by the St. George Temple to do baptisms for the dead on the way there.  It was very sweet to be in the temple with Maddie.  Then we stayed with my parents in law for a night or two.  Then we were off to the dorms.  We moved all of her stuff into the apartment, then started making lists of things we wanted to add, and things that she forgot at home!  We had a good time cooking for ourselves, watching Netflix, and lots of shopping.  Maddie was a little timid with the shopping, she said, "Mom, this is really strange, you hate shopping.  I am not quite sure what to do."  But in the end, I felt comfortable leaving her there.  She was prepared to try things on her own.  I will miss her, but I know that it is where she is supposed to be.  The joy of watching her become independent is dwarfing my sadness that she is gone.


No comments:

Post a Comment