
We went to visit Kirtland. As luck would have it, it was a Sunday, very appropriate for church related sites. We went to church in the morning, then discovered that the sites didn't open until 11:30. So we just ran around in the parking lot. We enjoyed seeing the church sites. My favorite is the Newel K Whitney Store. So many revelations took place there, and I love seeing the school of the prophets where so much was learned about the restoration of the gospel. I also love the ashery. I am always amazed at the ingenuity of people. I didn't know that lye came from ashes and that you had to leach it out then cook out the water. It is just fascinating to me.

After that we went to see the Kirtland temple. Jeff and I went 4 years ago, they have a new visitors center now. After the movie (we missed most of it), they open the curtains for a beautiful view of the temple. Allie was very excited to see the temple, it was the first temple that she had ever been in. But we tried to explain to her that this temple wasn't the same as a temple that was still dedicated to the Lord. Maddie and Jayd could really feel the difference. It is a beautiful building, and wonderful things happened there, but it just doesn't have the same spirit anymore. We did enjoy seeing the location of where Jesus Christ appeared along with Moses and Elijah to restore the keys of the priesthood necessary for the temple ordinances.
No comments:
Post a Comment