
It comes every year, the first day of school. I always approach this day with mixed emotions. I am sad to see my children go. It seems that during the summer, our family bonds are strengthened as we spend so much time together. This year, I felt that we were closer than ever after spending 6 weeks together. The beginning of school would bring a separation that is more difficult to overcome. I wish I could say that this year has been an exception, but I cannot. We have all returned to our separate worlds and are struggling to find our commonality again.
On a more positive note, I am grateful to have the school year start. With the mandated school attendance, our lives start to take on a rhythmic ebb and flow as they all leave in the morning, then return in the afternoon. The days seem to be less busy since we have less time to do big things, and I am able to accomplish much during the day without them.
This year was a big first as Maddie entered the hallowed halls of highschool. This also means the beginning of seminary. Seminary doesn't start until tomorrow, but we have been gearing up for the earlier morning for all of us. Maddie was happy that she was placed with the English teacher she wanted and is excited to learn German this year.
Jayd was placed with the math teacher that he didn't want, but that wasn't much of a surprise. He is enjoying his carpool this year, instead of 3 girls, he is with 4 other boys. They are enjoying being boys together, and making plans for after school.
Allie has the teacher that she wanted. She was also happy to see that many of her friends are in her class. I noticed that everyone she mentioned was a boy, and on the first day of school, she was surrounded by boys as she chatted up a storm and was so excited for school to start.
Gabe also has the teacher that he wanted. He came home a little dismayed. His teacher is tougher than he thought, but I am not concerned. I have had this teacher 3 times already. She is tough as nails in the beginning, but once everyone learns the ropes, she will soften a little. I am happy because I know that she will challenge Gabe and keep him busy.
It looks like a promising year. We are ready to go.
No comments:
Post a Comment