
We went to Mammoth Cave. We weren't going to be far from it, and I have always wanted to go there. What I didn't realize was that nearly all of Kentucky has a natural basement, it is covered, or resting on a large amount of caves. I always thought caves were in mountains, but not in Kentucky!
We loved Mammoth Cave. We went on a special tour of the Frozen Niagara, one of the few places in Mammoth Cave where there are cave formations. This tour allowed us to bring camera equipment and explore the cave at our leisure to take pictures. Jeff was in heaven as he took long exposure shots with the tripod.
The next day we took the River Styx tour that took us 350 feet under the surface down to where the water was still flowing through the cave. It was awesome. We went through enormous natural caverns as big as a stadium, then through narrow passes called Tall Man's Agony and Fat Man's Misery until we reached the river hall. This area flooded during last springs heavy rains,
so there wasn't any electricity below that level, so we took lanterns down to the very bottom. It was like being an explorer. Jayd picked the tours and I think he did a great job.
No comments:
Post a Comment